Friday, January 21, 2011

Last Sundays race!

Last Sunday I rode with my team in an Early Bird Criterium.  I was incredibly excited; this would be the first race that I actually would work with a team! Before the race, we came together and discussed the race tactics that we would perform. Soon we came up with the decision that everybody would attack at different times in the race, and I would lead out the last lap.Everything went as planned, but when there was only 5 laps to go a crash just HAD to occur. Two of our teammates were in it, Maryanne and Vanessa.  Maryanne was supposed to be behind me in the lead out so when I slowed down she could pass me and keep the pace going. Unfortunately, with Maryanne crashing, the entire lead out was up to me.
 
The race was neutralized for 2 laps, and when we were allowed to race again there was one lap to go. The race was on! Everybody began to pick up the pace, even though I was to lead out the whole last lap, I waited until the second to last corner to take off. When I did, the remaining two teammates were behind me ready for the sprint. When I dropped they took off.  One of the sprinters won! The other was in 4th or 5th place, and I had a big smile on my face! I am looking forward to the next race with my team!
 
The next exciting thing is that my stepdad, Mark Wolford, raced for the first time in 6 years! He was very proud of himself because he not only was able to stay with the cat. 4’s, he also was in the top 10!!! GREAT JOB MARK!!!

2 comments:

  1. You go girl. Very impressive. I look forward to reading about your competitions this season. I have done a bit of cycling in my time more along the lines of recreational/touring. I can appreciate the effort you are putting into training for these races. Good Luck.

    Uncle Frank (from SC)

    ReplyDelete