Thursday, May 24, 2012

Love and Loss and Gain




There is one thing that every cyclist fears, and that is their bike being stolen. Yes, bikes are expensive, but also think about how many miles you have ridden, how many hours, minutes, and seconds are spent training on your bike! Think of the victories you've had, the memories you've made. Think of that time when you wanted to chuck your bike of a cliff! You've crashed, bonked, and cried on your bike. Basically, you have lived most of your life on two wheels and a saddle. All of the memories that you have made, make your bike 'expensive' to you.

My Dolce was given to me from the Chico cycling community, almost two years ago. That was a very exciting day. Ever since then, I rode it like crazy. I spent thousands of miles in the saddle, and raced over 50 races up until the day it was stolen. If I could get it back, I would find some way to pin it up on my 'Wall Of Accomplishments' along with all of my race numbers, medals, and state championship jersey. Either that or I would give it to a little girl who is beginning to race, so she too, could ride it like crazy and make memories.

I was devastated the day my bike was stolen. All throughout the day I tried not to cry. Once though, during Spanish class, I did get teary-eyed. The girl next to me thought I was nuts, and gave me a strange look. I admit, I probably would think the same thing if she randomly began to cry. Anyway, that day was very stressful. A lot of things went through my mind. When can I get a bike? When will I be able to train again? Would I be able to race this weekend? If I did not get a bike quick, I would not be possible to train or race, which could effect me in the long run (It's a scary thought with Nationals coming up so quickly).

I want to thank EVERYONE in the cycling community (from Chico to the Bay Area) who offered to lend me their bikes. It is extremely wonderful to have so much positive support when such a negative occasion occurs. I feel so lucky to know you all :-))

                                                                

I am also very lucky to know such an awesome bike shop! Chico Sports LTD has helped me through thick and thin. They first helped me get my Dolce; now Edd Hamilton of Chico Sports LTD along with Ken McClenahan, Andrew Acaya, and Mike Sinyard of Specialized have helped to get me on a Specialized Amira!

Isn't she lovely! Isn't she wonderful! Isn't she precious!
 I am amazed with this bike, beyond words. I have tried to come up with analogies, but none of them actually compare to the real deal. Since my Dolce was not a race bike, the thing I'm most amazed with, is the stiffness of the Amira. Think of a roller coaster, when it goes around a corner, its very fast and smooth. The Specialized Amira is like that. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Like the Dolce, the Amira is womens specific geometry, and again like the Dolce, it fits me like a glove. I am very happy to be on Specialized again.

I am real excited to race my Amira this weekend. I will be at the Folsom Criterium and San Jose Memorial Day Criterium. Again, thanks to everyone for all of the support.

More blogs will be up soon. :-))





2 comments:

  1. Very Nice Post Aliya. Anyone who sponsors you, and supports you will benefit from it. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Aliya and "In bocca al lupo" for the upcoming races. Davide

    ReplyDelete